This lofty Christmas cake is ideal for serving a large Christmas gathering. The white chocolate buttercream is the perfect compliment to the minty candy canes.
The ingredient of White chocolate candy cane cake
- 375g butter, chopped
- 250g white chocolate, chopped
- 645g (3 cups) caster sugar
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 340g (2 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- Candy canes, crushed, to decorate
- Edible gold dust, to decorate
- 300g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 500g icing sugar mixture
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 300g white chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1-2 drops rose pink food colouring
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 4 egg white
The instruction how to make White chocolate candy cane cake
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan forced. Grease the base and sides of two 20cm round cake pans and line with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, chocolate, sugar and milk in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until melted and smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Sift the flours over the chocolate mixture. Stir to combine. Add the eggs and stir to combine. Pour evenly among prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pans to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, use electric beaters to beat the butter in a bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and milk, in alternating batches, beating well after each addition. Add the white chocolate and beat until smooth and combined. Tint pale pink with food colouring.
- Use a serrated knife to trim the top of cakes to flatten. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place 1 cake base on a plate. Spread with one-third of the buttercream. Repeat layering with the remaining cake and buttercream, finishing with cake.
- For the Italian meringue, stir the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat until sugar has completely dissolved, brushing down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals forming. Increase heat to high. Cook, without stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture reaches 115C (soft ball stage) on a sugar thermometer. While the syrup continues to cook, use electric beaters to whisk the egg whites in a bowl until firm peaks form. When the syrup reaches 120C (hard ball stage) and with the beaters on low speed, gradually add syrup to egg white mixture. Increase speed to high. Whisk for 10 minutes or until thick, glossy and cool. Spread half the meringue over top and side of cake. Place remaining meringue in a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle. Pipe peaks over top of cake. Sprinkle with the crushed candy canes and gold dust.
Nutritions of White chocolate candy cane cakecalories: