Banana bread meets hot cross bun in this fantastic Easter treat.
The ingredient of Hot cross bun-ana bread
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (90g) coarsely chopped Coles Brand Dried Banana Chips
- 3/4 cup (120g) mixed dried fruit
- 1/4 cup (40g) dried currants
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour, extra
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1 teaspoon gelatine powder
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
The instruction how to make Hot cross bun-ana bread
- Combine sugar and yeast in a bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water. Stir until combined. Add the banana and egg and whisk to combine.
- Place the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon in a bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the banana chips, mixed dried fruit and currants. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the banana mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead for 10-15 mins or until smooth and elastic (the dough should be sticky, so donu2019t use too much flour when kneading or it may become stiff and not rise properly). Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Grease a 12 x 20cm (base measurement) loaf pan. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it returns to original size. Divide into 8 portions and roll into balls. Place side by side in the prepared pan. Set aside in a draught-free place for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Combine extra flour, extra sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water in a bowl to form a smooth paste. Place in a sealable plastic bag. Cut off 1 corner. Pipe crosses onto buns. Bake for 10 mins. Reduce oven to 180u00b0C and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on top.
- To make the glaze, stir gelatine, sugar and water in a bowl until dissolved.
- Turn loaf onto a wire rack. Brush the top with glaze. Serve warm with butter.
Nutritions of Hot cross bun-ana breadcalories: 330.298 calories
calories: 7 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 58 grams carbohydrates
calories: 21 grams sugar
calories: 7 grams protein
calories: 39 milligrams sodium