Layer with nuts and drizzle with honey to make this wonderfully sticky Middle Eastern treat.
The ingredient of Simple baklava
- 250g slivered pistachios
- 1 cup (120g) chopped walnuts, toasted
- 100g pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water (see note)
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Warmed honey, to serve
- Icing sugar, to serve
The instruction how to make Simple baklava
- Preheat the oven to 180u00b0C. Line two 15cm x 8cm x 5cm mini terrines or a 1-litre loaf pan with baking paper.
- Place nuts, sugar, orange zest, orange blossom water and 80g butter in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Melt remaining butter, then cool slightly.
- Cut the filo sheets into strips to fit the terrine or pan, then keep covered with a damp tea towel while you work.
- Place 4 filo pieces in the base of a terrine or loaf pan, brushing a little melted butter between each piece. Brush top with butter, then spread over about 2 teaspoons nut mixture. Repeat with filo, nuts and butter to form 3 layers, finishing with a final layer of filo brushed with butter. Repeat with remaining terrine if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes (30 minutes for a 1L pan) or until golden. Cool in pans for 15minutes, then turn out. Dust with icing sugar and drizzle with honey just before serving, then slice.
Nutritions of Simple baklavacalories: